Skip to content

Sunday Update – March 24, 2019

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news. A post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up for the week on our blog.

I wasn't going to post this, but I might as well. This is the week I broke my left leg and fractured my right foot, and I ended up in an ambulance and the hospital for the first time ever in my life besides birthing children. I also had surgery for the first time ever. I'm glad I'm alive.

Monday was all fine and great. I have no recollection of what happened that day.

Tuesday, in a freak accident, I slipped on some stone slate at the bottom of our deck stairs, broke both bones in my left leg and fractured my right foot. I had to call 911, my kids witnessed it all, and everything. I set my own leg because I saw that it wasn't where it wasn't supposed to be and “fixed it.” Yes, I did. Even the cops who showed up were impressed. After that, the whole day is a blur of details that I don't want to reiterate right now. I was in the Emergency Room all day awaiting surgery, and when surgery was scheduled for the next morning, I was moved to a private room with lots of morphine to get me through.

Wednesday was surgery day. The whole day was taken up by it. This was also a traumatic day for me, as I thought I was dying more than once. Jesus. I'm still tearing up typing this.

Thursday was recovery day and my first session of physical therapy. Yes, if the surgeon decides you can bear weight on your legs, you get up and moving right away to prevent blood clots and muscle atrophy. I am weight bearing on both my legs, miracle of miracles. I am half cyborg now, though, so watch out! There's lots of metal rods, screws, and maybe a plate in there. I am unclear on the details. I was able to take steps on this day, but I was so tired from anesthesia the day before I didn't do much.

Friday was much better. I got some sleep despite the pain and was able to do PT in the training facility at the hospital which was REALLY nice, by the way. I picked the right hospital when I was totally panicked and freaked out in the ambulance. Then, miracle of miracles, they allowed me to go home. And a good thing, too, because it was my daughter's 12th birthday. Ugh, yes. This all happened right along with her birthday. I have to make it up to her somehow.

Saturday and Sunday has been recuperation at home. My mother is here. She got the call from my husband and immediately packed up, got in the car with her dog, and started driving up from South Carolina. She made it here in time for my surgery. I have a special recliner that can bring me up to an almost standing position so I can use the walker. I will be sleeping in it tonight as sleeping in bed is too painful right now. I'm not sleeping much at all because of the uncomfortableness of having two casts on. I need to benadryl myself tonight or I will just spend all day tomorrow crying.

I wish this were a more uplifting post! This is something that's never happened to me before. It was a freak accident that I somehow feel responsible for. I should've paid more attention to the slipperiness of the ground. Shouldn't have been wearing the shoes I was wearing. Etc. Etc. It's wrong to blame myself, but deep down, I do. But now I have to sleep and recover because I already miss walking in the park, and this pain and no sleep has been bad for my creative mind. I don't want to write at all. I just want to stare at my phone or the TV. That's probably what I should do, but I want to write, but I can't. Sigh.

Here are a few pictures I'm willing to share. I will spare you the one of my broken leg before it was splinted. Even I can't look at it! But my husband took the photo in the emergency room, and now it's saved for ever and ever. Amen.

These were my feet in the ER. The left one was splinted by this point, and the doctors were just figuring out that there MIGHT be something wrong with my right foot too. Do you know how many x-rays I had this day? Like too many. Plus, a CAT Scan. I should be glowing at this point.

The only thing I didn't like about the hospital was the food quality, but what can you do? I'm not there to dine.

Here are my legs post surgery. You can see how swollen my toes and foot are on the left in the photo. Hard cast on the left, walking boot thing on the right. I'm expected to use the walking boot every day and sleep in it too. Both are very hot and uncomfortable.

They gave me this thing post surgery and told me to use it ten times per hour. You don't breathe into it. You inhale the air out of it. Yeah. I kept forgetting to do it, and I started feeling like crap the very next day. So I set a timer on my phone to remind me every five minutes to do the stupid thing, and I started feeling much better. Go figure. If you're ever in the hospital and they tell you to do this, DO IT.

Mega bedhead. I didn't wash my hair for five days. It was so gross. And even after the washing we did yesterday, it's still not awesome. Maybe when I'm allowed to shower, it'll look great again.

And back home on the couch. This was before my awesome husband went and got me the recliner. I'm happy to be home, even if I'm still in pain.

And finally, something pretty. I did get two bunches of beautiful flowers while I was in the hospital and they really brightened my spirits.

I'm on 1000mg of Tylenol every six hours until the pain is not too bad and then I can step it back to 700ish and then back to 500ish until I can go off. I hate the narcotics they gave me so I'm only going to use them IF I HAVE TO.

Coming up this week!! A teaser for THE DAYDREAMER DETECTIVE FINDS HER CALLING on Tuesday and the book publishes on Friday. Let me just say that Amazon had better not give me any problems with this book. I keep hearing from other authors that Amazon has been sending out the wrong files. But I uploaded and DOUBLE CHECKED that they have the right file over a week ago. Fingers crossed it goes without a hitch because I have no calm for any problems with them!

Y'all have an awesome week!

S. J. Pajonas